Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy New Year


Happy New Year

Re-entry to the Dominican Republic was a bit of a shock this time.  I found it hard to find my step, to go forward, to wait.  I heard no voice, saw no vision.  It seemed I flailed about for an eternity... and then I imagined a very small voice that said "trust God even in the void".   Like learning to walk all over again, first steps are pretty shaky but off in the distance I can see God's peace and joy.

With Servant's Heart Ministries I have had the privilege to work along side a wonderful and varied group of committed, talented and compassionate people.  I would say God has given Phil and Donna Williams a "Gift" of hospitality, encouragement, wisdom and practical help.  With years of mission experience on the north coast, they are dedicated to bringing together trained mission volunteers and key people from the local communities to develop and run practical programs.  The emphasis is on meeting real needs and bringing lasting change.   Locals and visiting interns and teams work together providing opportunities to gain acceptance and understanding of differences,  learn from each other and develop the possibility of on going relationships with both individuals and communities.

It was such a thrill to welcome back to the DR my good friend Luckny who had been away working on a cruise ship for almost ten months.  While it was hard work he praises God for the opportunity to work and see the world.  While he was away we welcomed into the world a beautiful baby boy named Carlos Manuel, the youngest of Luckny's three sons. Luckny is looking forward to the next contract which begins at the end of January.  Please pray for him as it is very hard work and he will be away from his family for a long time. (I know a little of what that is like)

December 1st Sandy and I became the owners of a small, 2 apartment casa in Sosua.  It was owned by a former medical mission worker and I had been renting one of the apartments up until the time it was sold in the summer.  That sale fell through and the owner asked me if I knew anyone who might be interested... We are hoping to rent out one of the apartments and I will live in the other. The original owner walked around the complex when she first purchased and dedicated it to God.  Sandy and I would like to continue in the same way.  We already have a mission couple booked from mid January to early March.

Sandy and I ran into Jason's mom in Sosua.  Jason was a young boy from Los Algodonas (where we lived in 2008) with cerebral palsy that required an operation to straighten his leg.  He had never walked and we spent months after his operation improving his mobility with therapy (bribes of pizza) and providing nutrition.
Before we left at the end of the year he was walking.  Now, according to his mother, he needs another operation.  There is quite a complicated and colourful story behind their relocation to Sosua.  We went and visited him at his home (which is not an improvement from Algodonas)  He appeared in very poor condition.  I would appreciate your prayers for Jason and his family.

A new addition is being added to the Hugs for Kids school in Cangrejo and 2015 looks like it is going to be a busy year at Servant's Heart Ministries.

Yuberky, a young lady from Esperanza will be graduating from English school in the beginning of the new year.  Some of the people at Runnymede Community Church helped her with the cost. She applied herself and worked hard.  I am impressed with her ability to understand and speak English.  I am hoping that she can get some work translating for mission groups.  I would like to hire her but I don't have anything full time.  I would appreciate your prayers for Yuberky, that God would provide work for her and that she would not become impatient and discouraged.

There has been an encouraging answer to prayer in the DR.  The Dominican government has taken a stand against the sex trade with tough new laws directed towards men who take advantage of impoverished women and it seems to be having a positive effect on Sosua.  Mayor Ilana Neumann has been busy putting a new "Family Friendly" face on Sosua.  Please pray for her as there is strong opposition to the reforms she is making.

I am hopping to return to Canada for a few months in mid June and return to the DR in the beginning of September to help with school enrollment.  I am asking if anyone can give me some employment when I return so that I can continue to finance my work in the DR.  I love doing drywall and painting and general handyman type stuff.  If you know of anyone who needs that type of work done I will be available for two and a half months.  God willing.

I am grateful for the Runnymede news emails, facebook, and my itunes link to the weekly Runnymede Sermons. Also Skype lets Sandy and I connect almost daily.

With thanks and praise to God for His wonderful blessings in 2014,

Sincerely

Dave Chapman
and Sandy, MLRHG (My little red haired girl)







No comments:

Post a Comment